Classic FM - Discover Music
A good guide to the different musical eras.
What I like about this series is that full of timelines, composer profiles, interesting facts, music examples and most of all it is visually stimulating for students.
The guides can compliment students revision into the various musical eras.
20th Century - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/periods/modern/
Romantic - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/periods/romantic/
Classical - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/periods/classical/
Baroque - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/periods/baroque/
Renaissance - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/periods/renaissance/
Early Music - http://www.classicfm.com/discover/periods/early-music/
This goes with another good video series, possibly as introductions to topics or a summary revision. The Classicfm series highlights the key differences and key composers.
It is important for singing at the IB to go for pieces with relative enough difficulty. Of course you are at the standard where you should be pushing to more and more difficult pieces of music. This is the latest Trintity College London Grade pieces. This will give you an idea of the different difficulty levels and what you should be aiming for. At IB I suggest you aim for Grade pieces 5 and above.
Trinity Singing grades this year – Female Vocalists
· Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
· The Greatest Love Of All - Whitney Houston
· Moondance - Van Morrison (Michael Bublé)
· One Day Like This - Elbow
· Price Tag - Jessie J
· The Raggle Taggle Gypsies -Traditional
Grade 6 Female Vocals
· Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis
· Do You Know The Way To San Jose? - Dionne Warwick
· Flashdance (What A Feeling) - Irene Cara
· One Moment In Time - Whitney Houston
· Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette
· You Got The Love - Florence + The Machine
Grade 7 Female Vocals
· Can’t Fight The Moonlight LeAnn Rimes
· Firework - Katy Perry
· Free Money - Patti Smith
· I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten - Dusty Springfield
· Wishing On A Star Rose Royce
· Without You - Mariah Carey
Grade 8 Female Vocals
· Bring Me To Life - Evanescence
· Crazy In Love - Beyoncé
· Diamonds Are Forever - Shirley Bassey
· I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston
· I Put A Spell On You - Nina Simone
· I Say A Little Prayer -Aretha Franklin
If you go to your google drive folder. Click on your name and then a folder labelled performance. I have managed to select some of your performances (not all, I have a few tapes to go). We are going to review performances tomorrow and set ourselves aims to improve. What we call a positive feedback session and very useful.
As requested by you the students (wahoo, student power) I will set up a monthly recording session in the music room. As performances are meant to be in front of an audience it will be an open recording session, where people will be allowed to watch (tah dah! an audience!)
These sessions will run 2:45pm - 4pm on